Tuesday 12 January 2010

Exercise 20: Busy Traffic

I decided to take the photographs for this exercise when I knew that I was going to be able to visit London for the day and I thought that I would be able to use St Pancras Station for a busy place. I knew there would be crowds of people and envisaged straight shots of crowds as well as using the tripod and experimenting with slow shutter speed shots to show motion blur.


The first two shots above utilise motion blur to show busyness as well as there being large numbers of people. How slow the shutter speed is determines how blurred the subject will be - very in the first shot on the left and less so on the right.

I moved up to the top of one of the escalators to watch the crowds for a while. The first shot above on the left was taken with a relatively fast shutter speed to freeze the people whereas the one below left is the same view but with a slow shutter speed. I like the shot above right taken with a slow shutter and look straight down from the top of the escalator. Below right is a similar view but taken at a wider angle.

Later in the day we visited Tate Modern and I was able to photograph the crowds on the Millenium Bridge. As these had to be hand held shots I used a faster shutter speed so there is no motion blur.

No comments:

Post a Comment