Wednesday 18 November 2009

Research for Buildings and Spaces.

I began my research for this part of the unit by looking in magazines ans colour supplemnets and include three here.

This fist image is of a group of weavers in the Dessau School of the Bauhaus in 1927 in an article looking at why we never hear about the women who studied there.








The image on the left below is taken from a food article by Jay Ray and shows the Cafe Below at St Mary-Le-Bow, London. The picture is by Antonio Olmaos. The one on the right is an annotated phtograph of the studio of Textile Designer Neisha Crosland in an article entitled My Space. It is taken by Katherine Rose.



This image 'Take Shelter' is from John Byford's exhibition A Daily Dose at the Skegness SEAS International Festival. I have included it because these beach huts are on the Lincolnshire coast not far from us and I like the sky and the light.






I have included this iconic Beatles Album cover by Angus McBean parlty because it is so famous and also because I like the unusual composition looking up the stairwell.








The image on the left below of the factory floor at Siemens Karlsruhe by Andreas Gursky taken in 1990 because it is so detailed but the thought of working somewhere like this fills me with horror! On the right below though is a really horrific image of Kosevo Hospital, Sarajevo taken in 1993. Despite its bleakness I love the shadows cast by the sun coming through the window.



The photo on the left below is of the public baths in Paris taken in the 1850s by Henri Le Secq. The man in the water must have psoed stock still to prevent his being blurred beyond recognition. The picutre belo right is by Luigi Ghirri and entitled Capri.

Below left is a photo of the Bolshoi Ballet School by Cornell Capa in 1958. On the right is a picture entitled A Sea of Steps by Frederick H. Evans in 1903 taken in Wells Cathedral chapter house. The shapes and the enticing view through the doorway please me.



In his work, On Reading, Andre Kertesz features many buildings and man-made spaces. I love all of them and have selected three to show here.













The image below left is of the old station clock in the restaurant in the Musee D'Orsay. I love this unusual view and by the side of it I have included my own image taken in February 2008. I have framed and cropped mine in order to fram the Sacre Cour in the distance.




I enjoy modern architecture and have included three examples here. Unfortunately I was unable to find the names of the photographers from the internet.












I also love cathedrals and have looked at many pictures on the internet and have included these two. On the left is an unusual fisheye view that has been HDRed of Salisbury Cathedral and on the right an image from Seville Cathedral which I have visited. Again I could find no photographers to attribute to these two photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment