Thursday 25 June 2009

Exercise 2 - Thinking about Location

So far I have taken pictures of three settings and portraits in two of them. I have chosen the pier at Aberdovey, our garden and Cleethorpes beach. One other that springs to mind is People's Park in Grimsby.

Whilst on holiday in North Wales we visitied Aberdovey, one of my favourite spots. I knew that the view up the River Dovey from the pier is spectacular and with the beautiful weather and full tide it was near perfect. Some good clouds would have completed the effect. I took this view with post in the foreground with a view to taking the portrait of someone sitting on it.



I persuaded my wife to sit for me - never an easy task. When I got home and viewed the image I realised that I had got hung up on portrait format and in retrospect I should have taken it in landscape as the original view and shown more of the scene behind. The other problem with this image is that I was faced with bright sun conditions and the light is very contrasty with a nasty shadow underneath her hat. Of course Heather felt that this enhanced the picture??!!









We enjoy our garden and spend a great deal of time in it and I enjoy taking photographs in and of it.



A rather formal image of our daughter Beth on the patio.

















Another location I researched for this exercise is the beach at Cleethorpes. I like this as a location as it is a pleasant view but one lacking distration if a portrait were to be taken against it. In a similar way to the Aberdovey picture, I would seat the subject on the right hand post adjusting the viewpoint so that the subjects head was on the 'golden section'.



No comments:

Post a Comment