Tuesday 26 May 2009

Exercise 1 continued: Portrait, Scale and Setting

I based this set of images on an idea that I obtained from the Guardian colour supplement. I decided to use the car as a prop as Tom is a keen driver and so I thought it would be very fitting.



In the first two images he looks quite serious but more relaxed in the third where he is having a joke with me.



In the last two I zoomed out to 30mm and then 17mm. Of these images I prefer the head and shoulder ones. I feel that they work because they show the context but they also reveal the situation.



In this series of images I asked Thomas to put his bike on the workstand and clean it. Again I thought that it would be a suitable situation as he is a keen cyclist. In the first two cropped face ones I asked him to look towards me in the first one. I prefer the studied look of the second. These were taken with a 100-400 lens set at 285 mm. The next head and shoulder shot I used a 17-85 lens set at 73mm and the next two were also at 73 mm but I physically moved back. Both seem a little posed to me and he has lost some of his relaxed look.


In the first two of this set of three I zoomed out to 41mm and the final full figure shot was zoomed to 17mm.
Of this last set of images I prefer the larger torso shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment